Breathing is a natural process that our body does on its own and you may wonder why we are talking about this then? There are numerous needs for this because it may not go well with you but we don’t necessarily breathe the way our body wants us to. A Breathing exercise can improve your health and can resolve various health issues.
This is the reality that we neglect mostly and many of us may have felt too. We are living a very stressful and fast-paced life which leaves very little time for us to think about ourselves and how well we are breathing.
It may not be the most compelling reason to learn about your breathing but it should be. Stress has been on the rise for the last decade and since then we are witnessing numerous people with breathing disabilities. This can also happen to you and we don’t want you to get stuck with the health care services but you can do a lot better if you knew about your own breathing.
Learning about our own body is a subject that we can not ignore and cannot stop learning about. Few people focus on their own body in today’s time. We all are running around for one thing or the other, stressing ourselves chasing things that are merely in our hands.
In the process, we invite stress to our door and it goes deep enough that we are left on the point of no return. If this doesn’t seem like a modern-day world problem then look around and remember the last time when you saw a person so stressed that they can’t breathe.
It is very likely that you have witnessed things as such but still chose to ignore it. This can be very likely the condition of many of us, things can go to the point where you will be required with health care services.
We know that you are probably thinking that breathing exercise will not help me get good marks or a job. It will not help me ace my interview but that’s where you are mistaken. Yes, it doesn’t directly affect it but it will eventually help you in your life. You will be surprised to learn that how a mere breathing exercise helped you do something differently.
It may help you solve a problem that you were trying so hard to solve for a couple of days or help you give your interview nicely without any stressed situation arising. You just need to put in the efforts to see the results yourself. We believe that if you are reading this article then you are ready to move forward with it.
There are numerous relaxation techniques that will help you to calm your mind but have you ever wondered that in the process it also calms down your breathing. You may be breathing rigorously but then after using those techniques your breathing is much calmer and more normal. We all know about meditation and there are numerous techniques that talk about focusing on your breathing and other variants which teach you to control your breathing. Hence, there needs to be some connection between stress and breathing if the roots of these techniques are more than a thousand years old.
We all have heard about yoga and if you have experienced any yoga service then you know how much emphasis yoga pays on breathing and even if you hire health care services you will be recommended for yoga services for the long run as this helps in keeping the body well.
Why Deep breathing exercises are Beneficial?
Breathing is a fact for us and is so common that we don’t pay much attention to it but we all know that it is important for us. We normally breathe 20 times a minute and you may wonder even if we do breathe more or less in a minute what bad will happen.
Breathing is regarded as a science and is hence a vast topic to discuss but here we will let you know how can breathing right be helpful to you.
If we tell you to watch an action movie then you will not notice it while watching but your breathing changes and it becomes fast, while it slows down if we tell you to watch a slow dramatic movie.
What we do affects our breathing habits and hence breathing in the way that’s best for you will help you relax. There are numerous ways that can help you to control your breathing and get you to calm down in a very short span of time.
You may have tried meditation and noticed that when you focus on your breathing you feel more relaxed. If you haven’t noticed this, try this next time and you will get to know that just after 15 minutes of meditation or if we are to be precisely controlled breathing you will feel rejuvenated.
If you are worked up about something then breathing exercise will help you relax and calm you down to the point that it will be harder to realize what you were so worked up about. It helps you get a different perspective to explore in the same situation.
You can try this and will often see the result that when you deal with situations after taking 4-5 deep breaths, the situation will seem a little bit different to you. It won’t be the same as it was while you were stressing about it.
Although we are not emphasizing that all your stress will go away with just breathing a different way. For that you will be required to consider proper health care services, stress shouldn’t be taken lightly. Although there’s one service that will definitely help you cope up with your stress and that is yoga services. We all know that yoga has endless benefits for our body and it can only be discovered once you do it on your own. There needs to be some reason that yoga is now world-famous.
Deep Breathing Exercises anyone can do
Belly Breathing Exercise
Belly breathing is a very basic and simple exercise and good for starters. This can be done by anyone in the family, anytime they feel anxious or stressed about something. It also helps you to sleep peacefully at night.
- Sit in a comfortable position upright with your back straight.
- Put your hand on your abdomen.
- Inhale deep such that you notice your hand moving and your belly expanding with your breath.
- Exhale slowly and again notice your hand moving back inwards with the exhale.
- You should continue this breathing exercise till you achieve a calm state.
You will notice that after doing this you will be much more relaxed than normal and can either sleep well at night or continue with your work. This is a good exercise to do while you are in your office on a stressful day.
The roll breathing technique is a little bit more complicated than belly breathing and you need to be well versed with belly breathing to start with this one. It is good for adults but children should be trained well for this and hence it’s advised to keep them away from this exercise.
- Sitting or lying in a comfortable position with your back straight, place one hand on your chest while the other on your abdomen.
- Inhale through your nose and imagine filling your belly first with breath and then your chest. It sounds a bit complex and it is but you have to use your hands as guides.
- Now, exhale through your mouth and empty your chest first and then your belly.
- This exercise should be repeated a number of times to get the most benefit from it.
As you can see this is a little bit complex and children couldn’t figure this thing out on their own. That’s why you should guide them and if your children are less than 10 years than this is not worth the risk.
If you can master this exercise then this is much more effective than belly breathing and can be done anywhere if you don’t want your hands to guide you.
You will get some yoga vibes from this exercise and why not it involves stretching and breathing something that is exclusive in yoga services. This exercise will be beneficial for adults the most because it helps relieve your muscles of tension and helps you relax with both your muscles and mind.
- In a standing position, put your arms up over your head while you inhale.
- On an exhale, fold your body forward and drop your arms down so they can touch the floor.
- Again, on an inhale slowly roll the spine up so you are back in a standing position.
- The key here is to do all these motions really slowly to avoid any damage to your body. This will also help you breathe slowly and deep.
- A few iterations of this will be wonderful.
This is inspired by one of yoga’s asanas which are commonly known as Surya Namaskar. As the name suggests it is obliged to be done in the morning and often has the best effects because you inhale and exhale a lot of air and this will bring you fruitful results if done in the fresh air.
As the situation is in our country with most of the cities with bad pollution indexes. The only way you can avoid the need for health care services is by indulging in yoga services and that too in the morning.
Alternate Nostril Breathing
This is yet again a very simple exercise and will not require you to devote much time to it as required in the exercise above. The best results will often be seen if we do all these exercises once in the morning so that our day is full of energy.
However, we all don’t get enough time to do so and this can be done anywhere to relax instantly. This is pretty simple but takes time to master after that it becomes easier.
- Sit in a comfortable position upright with your back straight.
- Using your dominant hand make the hang ten sign which is basically your thumb and the smallest finger out and other fingers curled in.
- Empty your lungs
- Close your right nostril with your right thumb and inhale through the left nostril.
- The key is to hold your breath for a comfortable amount of time
- Then, switch to your left nostril with your right small pinkie finger and exhale through the right nostril.
- Inhale through the right nostril and hold while you close the right nostril and exhale through the left nostril.
- You can repeat this exercise around 5-10 times and see the results for yourself.
All the above exercises have their roots hundreds of years back but this one is pretty new compared to them. This breathing exercise mimics breathing when we are in deep sleep and we know that in deep sleep our heartbeat is calm and we are not stressing about anything.
If mastered this exercise can prove to be a turning point in your life and that also means that it is pretty difficult to master. You can use this when you have trouble sleeping or are just in anxiety.
- Breathe in as quietly as possible through your nose for 4 seconds.
- Hold your breath for 7 seconds.
- Purse your lips and forcefully release your breath for 8 seconds in a similar manner as we do while sleeping which means to make a whoosh sound with exhaling.
- Do not repeat it more than 4 times until and unless you get good at it with practice.